If you haven’t made Colin Fassnidge’s famous Crispy Chicken Bread, now you can, thanks to Harris Scarfe! Like a cheats version of fried chicken AND crusty garlic bread, this weeknight wonder is simple, packed with flavour and perfect to get kids involved in. Put it on this week’s menu, it’s one the whole family will love. It is easy and quick to prepare and there’s always a fight over the last piece of crispy skin!
1 potato sliced (to use as a base under the bread)
6 thick slices of sourdough (that will fit 6 thighs on top)
20g butter (diced)
Olive oil (to drizzle)
2 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 red onion (peeled and finely sliced)
1 bunch basil
½ bunch tarragon
2 sprigs rosemary (roughly chopped)
Juice of 1 lemon
6 chicken thighs (skin on)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. In a large bowl, season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper
3. Lay sliced potatoes on bottom of roasting tray, followed by the sourdough on top. Evenly distribute diced butter and drizzle with olive oil. Season the bread and scatter the onions and garlic on top.
4. Sprinkle the basil, tarragon and rosemary over the bread, then place the chicken thighs on top and gently press them into the seasoned sourdough.
5. Drizzle chicken skin with olive oil and place in oven for 40 minutes, or until core temperature at bone is 60°C.
6. Once chicken is cooked, remove the chicken off the bread to rest. Divide the base into your desired portions. Bread should be crispy on top and soft on the bottom.
7. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve with rocket salad and Parmesan.