Summer calls for ice cream and Poh’s twist on the classic ‘strawberries and cream’ combo is one you need to try. With bold flavours of balsamic, berries and vanilla, Poh’s Crème Fraiche Ice Cream with Aged Balsamic Strawberries is a dish that will impress guests and one that the whole family will love. Best of all it involves only eight simple ingredients you probably have at home so you can make this one right now!!
150ml créme fraîche or sour cream
5 egg yolks
70g caster sugar
1 tsp full vanilla bean paste
1 punnet strawberries, sliced
4 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
About 10 basil leaves
1. For the ice cream. Combine the créme fraîche or sour cream and milk in a heatproof bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes on the highest setting.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the yolks, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until combined.
3. Add to the hot cream and milk mixture and whisk well. Microwave for another 2 minutes and then whisk very well. At this point I usually microwave for 40 seconds or 1 more minute.
4. When the custard is cooked, it should coat the back of a wooden spoon with ease. Hold the spoon horizontally and draw a line through the middle of the the custard – it should not drip and merge again easily and if it does, it needs a little more cooking.
5. If the custard splits or curdles, immediately pour it into a blender or stick blend it until it re- emulsifies.
6. Cool completely – preferably overnight before churning using machine instructions.
7. To serve – a large scoop of ice cream per person and divide the strawberries, then drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of aged balsamic. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves and serve immediately.